“Covid is Real – Stop the Spread”
To help Canadians stop the spread of Covid and facilitate the need to travel, the Canadian government has instituted travel restrictions. There are though exceptions that allow some border crossings and the recognitions some travellers are now fully vaccinated. Hence they have had built an app called “ArriveCAN”. It allows returning Canadians and other travellers entering the country to follow a very strict Safety protocol to prevent the spread of the Covid Virus. I have personally used this app. It is available as a mobile android or ios app, and online.
You can: download the ArriveCAN app or access ArriveCAN online here. I expect it will be used as a Canadian version of a vaccine passport. It should make travelling easier as more of the world becomes vaccinated.
All individuals entering Canada regardless of mode, are required to use ArriveCan.
Please note for those driving into Canada the nexus lanes are now open.
Prior to arriving in Canada – travellers are required to submit the following information through ArriveCAN before they board their flight or before arriving at a land border crossing:
- travel and contact information
- a quarantine plan
- COVID-19 symptom self-assessment
- if travelling by air, the trip reference code for your hotel quarantine reservation
- a covid test that is not more then 72 hours old.
- If you have been fully vaccinated – you can upload pics of the vaccine cards onto the app. Regardless you should have the vaccine card(s) and your own pics of these important documents.
Once you submit your information through ArriveCAN a receipt will be displayed and emailed to you.
Upon arrival in Canada
As of July 5th, 11:59 p.m – pumpkin time, the Canadian government slightly eased the entry rules for ”fully vaccinated returning Canadians. This includes those who have had the full regiment of doses of Moderna; Astra Zeneca; Pfizer; the mixing of the vaccines; and the one shot Johnson and Johnson. You will not have to quarantine, nor take a mandatory covid test 8 days after arrival.
When you arrive in Canada, you will be required to show your ArriveCAN receipt to a Canadian border services officer. You can show your ArriveCAN receipt via the following methods:
- the app
- as a screenshot
- your email
- a printout
- your vaccine information
- your covid test result within 72 hours of your arrival plan
You will also need paper printouts and back ups. For example if you have taken a covid test – you will be emailed the result. If possible print a copy for your own records.
After you arrive in Canada: The day after you arrive in Canada, you must submit the following information via ArriveCAN:
- confirm you’ve arrived at a government-authorized hotel or the address you provided for your quarantine or isolation location; and,
- complete a daily COVID-19 self-assessment (until the end of your 14 day quarantine period if you have not been vaccinated) or until you report symptoms.
- a mandatory covid test 8 days after arrival
Fully vaccinated Canadians still have to do the Covid nasal swab test prior to 72 hours before entering the country. The border crossing guard will give you a covid self administered test which needs to be sent to “Switch Health” after entering the country. There is a purolator delivery packet. Just phone the number and purolaor will pick it up. There is no 14 day quarantine.
For any traveller – with few exceptions for non or those partially vaccinated – the US/Canada border remains closed.