Pedestrian & Bicycle Accidents

Cross Border Pedestrian & Bicycle Accidents

cross border pedestrian and bicycle accidents

From a Snowbirds’ perspective, Vacation and Retirement involves getting out to see the sites.  Enjoying the sunshine, and the desire to live a healthier active life style has spurred participation in walking and bicycling.

Canadians involved in Pedestrian and Bicycle Accidents in the USA

Unfortunately like every activity there is a risk – in this instance being struck by a car.  Canadians injured from a car accident in the USA are all too frequent.  Cross Border bicycle and pedestrian accidents, can be very serious let alone “catastrophic”.

What should you do if struck by a car?

  • Inform the police.
  • Seek medical attention.
  • Inform your family doctor of the accident and your injury.
  • Obtain the driver’s licence and insurance particulars.
  • Notify your own car insurer about the accident and claim your accident benefits.
  • Give us a call.

Does Fault Matter?

No matter who is at fault, nearly everyone injured in a motor vehicle accident is entitled to some form of “Statutory Accident Benefits” or “Personal Insurance Protection” benefits from their own car insurer.  If you don’t have your own insurance policy, you may have access to insurance from the car that struck you or a family member’s car policy.

Accident Benefits are very Important for Pedestrians and Bicyclists

Accident Benefits, sometimes referred to as Personal Insurance Protection can immediately assist you and your family with medical and therapy costs.  In serious cases, it can help pay for the care of a loved one at home or in the hospital.

How Do I Obtain Statutory Accident Benefits (PIP)?

Most insurers want you to contact them within 7 days of the accident. Upon discharge from a hospital, you may need therapy, equipment, assistive devices, attendant care or other medical services. Apply for insurance benefits as soon as possible in order to help with your rehabilitation.

Applying for Statutory Accident Benefits (PIP). 

After reporting the accident, your insurer will send you an application that must be completed by you.  The Application allows the insurer to gather basic information: a description of the accident; injuries sustained; treating doctors and hospitals involved; any medical and rehabilitation expenses needed or incurred; and, whether there is an inability to work.

You must disclose any private and group health plans that may be available to you. Most private insurance benefit policies require you to first access Federal, State or Provincial health plans prior to their involvement.

In serious, catastrophic accidents Canadian Snowbirds can arrange for a health care professional from Ontario help you process the myriad of claims and accident insurance forms.

Can I sue? Maybe Yes.  Maybe No. 

Cross Border Accidents are exceptionally complicated.  After a serious accident, you very well may need a lawyer in the state where you and/or your family was injured, and where you normally reside. 


 Call us for a free consultation.

snowbird accident helpline

or complete the form below:




snowbird accidents