The great state of Kentucky is famous for fried chicken, The Kentucky Derby horse race, and bourbon whiskey. Both Canadian and US Snowbirds enjoy some of these finer things in life in winter.
With its beautiful year-round climate, many Snowbirds flock south to enjoy sought-after warmer weather in The Bluegrass State. Unfortunately, while travelling, Kentucky car accidents can turn the best-laid plans into a nightmare.
How Long Do I Have to File a Kentucky Car Accident Claim?
If a Canadian or US Snowbird is involved in a Kentucky car accident, they have 10 days to file a written accident report with Kentucky State Police. You must do so if the car accident resulted in injury to, or death of any person. You have only one year to file a lawsuit for personal injury and two years to file a lawsuit for property damage.
What Should You Do If You’re Involved in An Accident Outside Your Home Province or State?
- Your top priority is always the health and safety of you and your family. Be sure to seek out medical attention immediately.
- Make sure the police are contacted.
- If possible, take a picture of the other driver’s licence and insurance, and a picture of the licence plate.
- Call your insurance company and report the accident.
- Contact the Snowbird Helpline as soon as possible for advice.
Kentucky Car Accidents
Kentucky has a lawsuit threshold. You are allowed to sue another driver if you incur at least $1,000 in medical expenses, or suffer a broken bone, or suffer a permanent disfigurement, or suffer a permanent injury, or death.
Kentucky has no dollar limit for the maximum amount a person can be awarded in car accident damages. The state allows you to collect money for vehicle repair or replacement, rental cars, and medical expenses. Additionally, pain and suffering, lost wages, and loss of affection or companionship too.
Kentucky Abides by a Comparative Negligence Standard
Fault for a car accident in Kentucky is assigned to all the drivers involved based on percentages. For example, if you were 90% at fault in a Kentucky car accident, and the other driver was 10%, you can still recover 10% of your damages. Please note that passengers are generally not at fault for an accident. Therefore, they can recover 100% of their damages from either or both drivers who caused the accident.
Please note, any contractual (insurance) rights and remedies a Snowbird has such as PIP or accident benefits must be dealt with in their respective state or province.
Why You Need Snowbird Car Accident Help For A Personal Injury Claim In Kentucky For Cross-Border Accidents?
For 35 years, Snowbird Accidents has been assisting Canadian Snowbirds and US Snowbirds involved in car accidents and other personal injury accidents across North America. Very few lawyers and attorneys understand the complexity of cross-border accidents. After a serious Kentucky car accident, you will need a lawyer in Kentucky to process your Tort rights, and a lawyer in your home province or state to make sure your contractual claims are paid. It’s crucial that lawyers work collaboratively. Both lawyers share one fee which is primarily paid by the defendant car insurer.
Snowbird Accidents has been helping seriously injured Canadian Snowbirds and US Snowbirds get the treatment and care they need. This way, they can recover from their injuries and access fair compensation for their losses. We understand it is not only the injured party that may require assistance. Loved ones can face significant challenges also.
Snowbird Accidents arrange for you to speak to some of the best personal injury lawyers in Kentucky who are experienced with cross-border accidents. They work collaboratively with other lawyers and attorneys in various states and provinces to protect you and your family’s legal rights and remedies.