As “vaccines” rollout and Covid wanes consumers are opening up their pocket books and planning trips across North America. The Canadian and US border is expected to open in days, albeit to those who are fully vaccinated. (We are only recommending those who are fully vaccinated travel.)
Things to consider prior to heading south:
Last year the US tourist industry was literally on life support. Temporary interstate travel restrictions and quarantine requirements inhibited vacationers. The spectacular USA vaccine roll-out has given “a shot in the arm” to the travel industry.
1) Florida remains a conundrum: It is one of the great tourist areas in the world and has been one of the least restrictive states when it comes to pandemic-related regulation. The Orlando area attractions such as Disney, Universal and SeaWorld have all remained open but with strict Covid protocols and limited capacity. Florida as a “tourist destination” attracted vacationers and snowbirds where they became infected with the virus. As they returned home, taking the virus with them, they infected unsuspecting friends and family. These covid facts never showed up as a Florida stat, but rather in the state or province the carriers returned to. With the Delta variant raging and the Governor at a loss as to what to do, Florida needs to be avoided for now. The reason is simple – the hospitals and ICU’s are overwhelmed.
2) Unfortunately only 50% of Floridians have availed themselves of a “shot”, with at least 33% expressing a complete lack of interest in ever getting it. This malaise is also effecting most southern US states who now have the worst vaccination rates in relation to the rest of the USA.
3) Its the anti-vaxers that are primarily getting covid and filling the hospitals and ICU’s. Unfortunately their actions are slowing down the US economy and continues to prolong the pandemic. A Florida emergency room Doctor said, “everyone in ICU with covid has in thing in common – they were never vaccinated”. How sad!
4) Most southern states have been trying to get people vaccinated but have failed miserably. It is not for a lack of trying: Florida realized that providing vaccinations to residents, (and tourists) was a way to return to normal. Some Miami hotels will arrange for you to get vaccinated literally in your room. The Florida Covid vaccine web portalis probably one of the best in North America. You can book your covid vaccine reservation and choose the vaccine you want in minutes. It even passed health regulations allowing “anyone” entering the state who supports a business to be eligible for a vaccine. “Put some Florida gas in your car and your eligible”.
Why the vaccination rate is so low is up for debate! Whatever are the myriad of excuses – it is delaying our return to normal
5) As a Snowbird there is only one answer: if you and your family are fully vaccinated Florida is a wonderful place to be but you need to wait. Forida’s Hospitals and ICU’s need to dramatically lower the covid admissions.